Transfer news: I am going to Rio Gallegos in the Southern tip of Argentina. I will be Senior comp to Hna.Sureda from Chile.
Mom note: Aubrey was told her new area isn't beautiful but the members are amazing. So....I did some reasearch: "Hardly a tourist destination, this coal shipping, oil-refining and wool-raising hub is a busy port with a few merits for travelers. Since the reign of the Kirchners, the capital city of their home province has been spruced up and spit polished. Outside of town, visitors can find some of the continent’s best fly-fishing, traditional estancias (ranches) and amazingly low tides (retreating 14m). Traveler services are good here but most zip through en route to El Calafate, Puerto Natales or Ushuaia.
Gallegos’ economy revolves around nearby oilfields, with coal deposits shipped to ocean-going vessels at Punta Loyola. Home to a large military base, the city played an active role during the Falklands War."
Here's a link to the map if you want to see where she is:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rio+Gallegos,+Santa+Cruz+Province,+Argentina/@-51.469468,-68.1971112,1007540m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0xbdb6f952b21c66e5:0xab7c41f247647102!6m1!1e1
This week has been crazy! As every missionary knows, week 6 is the week of sickness, stress, and miracles. I have experienced all three of those :)
Miracle #1: We cleaned this old man's house for a service project. It was so dirty and cockroaches were running everywhere. It took 16 missionaries 6 hours of hard labor to clean the place up. After the service project I felt disgusting and I had a strong craving for sprite (which is weird because I hardly ever drink soda in my house.) Hna Burt and I were walking down the street and we saw our beloved panaderia that also sells sprite. For some reason (the spirit), we passed by without entering. I tried to convince myself that it was late (it was 9:15 and we had to be back by 9:30) and that I wasn't really craving a sprite. However, when we passed this little meat shop kiosco we entered without really thinking. I grabbed a sprite and went to the caja to pay. After I paid, the lady behind me grabbed my arm and said, "Wait, I want to talk to you." Turns out that she is a menos activa that we had been searching for. She had moved to some apartment buildings by the beach in our area. We set up an appointment and she took us home in her car so we made it before curfew.
God knows that if he wants something done he can always count on my cravings to lead me to his lost sheep. :)
Miracle #2: We were contacting Barrio Roca apartments one morning. A grumpy lady came down stairs on her way out of the building and said, "Don't knock upstairs, we are all catholic. Oh, and shut the door on your way out." My stubborn streak kicked in and I said to Hna Burt, "Hey, let's go knock upstairs." So we did. We found her 20-something year old son, Sebastian, who is not a catholic. We invited him to piano classes that night. Guess what? He actually came!!! He asked questions about Joseph Smith and the picture of Jesus giving the priesthood to his apostles. Que capo!
Miracle #3: Two words - General Conference. Hna Burt and I chilled in the gringo room with the Elders and watched it in English. We also ate our weight in gomitas (cookies). I LOVED the talk by Elder Uchtdorf.
Bueno, I have to go to the terminal. I'll leave here at 1pm and arrive in my area tomorrow at 7am. Chau!!!
Love,
Hermana Davis
No comments:
Post a Comment