Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hump Day!

This week Hermana Burt and I were walking around like the camel in the Geico commercial. She would ask me "Hna Davis, what day is it on Thursday?"
I would reply, "HUMP DAY!!!" On Thursday the 17th I completed 9 months in the mission. Time flies when you are in a coma (family inside joke.)

The funny moment of the week was when we met with a menos activa that drinks a lot of wine. We were having a lesson with her yesterday and I{m pretty sure that she was drunk. She was talking about how she needs to study the scriptures because one day she may be a prophet...I think we need to go over the retention lessons.

To celebrate my special day we ate lunch with the Muñiz family. The hermana is from Bolivia and she cooks better than Paula Deen. Her little daughter, Sasha, says the funniest things. She wanted to do my hair, so I sat down on her couch and let her comb it out. She said, "Your hair is messed up from the wind. My special barbie conditioner will help you." She then squeezed a glob of gel into her hand and slops it on the crown of my head. My hair has been gloriously soft for 3 days straight! I may buy me some barbie detangler gel...

On Tuesday we made spicy empanadas as a district. We made almost 70 empanadas. The secret ingredient is Locoto powder. It's about as potent as it sounds. Me gusta picante :D

We were doing some contacts in our area. We found some igloo-like houses that give off a starwars kind of vibe. We decided to knock the doors. This one man opened up and said, "Pucha chicas, I'm probably the least religious person you could meet. I'm really not interested."  He was about to close the door when I said, "I really like your house." He got a big smile on his face and let us take a peek inside from the door way. That's another thing I can cross of my mission bucket list - knock the door of an igloo. :)

The miracle of this week happened on a Sunday afternoon. We had passed by the house of this menos activa family multiple times and no one was ever there. We decided to pass by yesterday. We knocked once and then the family pulled up to their house in their car. We were able to get in and talk with them a bit. We scheduled another cita and hopefully we can get them coming back to Church.

I really love learning about the life of Christ. We have this one Menos Activa who feels unworthy to pray and doesn{t feel like she wants to return to the church. I testified to her that God loves her and Satan is working against her because he knows that she is a special daughter of God. I could feel the spirit speaking through my humble spanish to reach her heart.

This week I have loved reading in the New Testament about the life of Jesus. I love the miracles he performed and how he taught eternal principles with a simple parable. If you aren't reading the New Testament before Christmas, I encourage you to do so. I have felt my testimony grow as I read.

Keep getting excited for conference! Just think, we get to hear a message from a living prophet of God!

Love you tons!
Hermana Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment