Monday, March 14, 2016

Consejo and the Atonement

Hermana Davis and Hermana Johnson (from Bountiful)

On their way to leadership conference


Leadership conference



Juan after Hermana Chinchilla's hair cutting skills!



Dear friends and family:
Ok, here´s the details on what happened during consejo: (leadership council)
First we left for the terminal at 5am Monday morning. We caught a bus to Río Grande, which is one of the 3 cities on the island (Ushuaia, Tolhuin, Río Grande). My comp couldn't find her DNI (Argentine ID) and so she wouldn't be able to pass the borders of Chile. We were about to return to Ushuaia and forgo the trip when my comp had the feeling to open her wallet. She had already thoroughly searched ever pocket in her wallet. When she opened it her DNI was sitting on top of everything in plain sight. #miracles
Then we crossed the border of Chile. Now I have at least four stamps from Chile in my passport :) I bought some Chilean chocolate called Sahne-nuss and some Watt´s juice. In the collectivo  (bus) we taught the restoration to someone from France. Luckily she spoke Spanish.

We passed through my beloved Río Gallegos. Rocco still follows the Hermanas and Hercules is huge! I saw Hna Cardenas. Such a capa! We ate lunch in Subway and then caught a train to Comodoro. 

We also passed through Caleta Olivia, my first area. The wind was so strong that the little window thing at the top of the collectivo blew off. The bus had to turn around and take a pit stop in a collectivo repair place. 

We finally arrived at Consejo at 9am Tuesday morning. They talked about our mission goals, how we can be examples, what we can do to help our investigators arrive at baptism, and lots of other good stuff. 

It was so good to see my friends from all over the mission. I love those guys :)

Later in the evening we ate empanadas with the pres and the assistants. Then we caught a bus back to Río Gallegos. From Río Gallegos we passed through Chile, caught a boat, and then drove back down to Ushuaia. The drive through Tolhuin and Ushuaia is stunning! I would've taken photos, but it was a bit dark. Ushuaia is like a mix of Europe, Oregon, and Utah. It´s green with mountains and European style architecture.

As for the rest of the week:
We taught Juan, our recent convert, about the word of Wisdom. He has been having some drinking problems recently. We invited him to church and even had a lesson with two members to give him support. On Saturday we passed by and my comp gave him a haircut to prepare for Church. He seemed to be doing so well and we really believed that he would come to church on Sunday. Well, Sunday arrived 
and Juan didn't show up. His daughter told us that he arrived drunk in the morning to the house. We passed by in the evening, but Juan wasn't there. We talked with his family for a bit until we heard a gate open outside. In came Juan. drunk.
My heart broke as I saw how he could barely stand up straight as greeted his kids. He shook our hands and leaned against the wall. Then he began to cry.
"I want to change. I have so many sins and I just want to change."  We let him cry for a moment. Lots of things happened in the lesson that we had with Juan. He told us that no matter what he does he just keeps messing up. I remember testifying to him of the atonement. We lovingly "dropped cane" (as they say down here). I testified to him of the atonement. I told him to imagine Jesus suffering in the garden. I told Juan to imagine the blood leaving His pores and the agony He felt. Then I said, "He did it for you Juan, because He loves you. The gift is on the table and you've left it there. Apply the gift Juan! Take the sacrament, read the scriptures, say your prayers, and keep the commandments! He wants to heal you, but He can´t if you don´t act." It was one of the most heart-breaking and yet, powerful moments of my mission. I don´t know if Juan will change. I hope he will because I know that this gospel is the only way to feel true joy and peace. I do know that Christ suffered for Juan and that change is possible. Everyone can change. God is all-powerful and there is not one person on this earth that is exempt from the healing and comforting power of the atonement. 

As for our other investigators:
Maria Elena has some serious family problems right now. She wants to separate from her emotionally abusive boyfriend. Please pray for her. 
We are still teaching José in his little kiosco. (shop) He finally agreed to say the closing prayer! 
Oscár is a contact that we did this week. We gave him a Book of Mormon and invited him to read. I´ll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment