Fun fact about Rìo Gallegos: You know those holes in the ozone layer that everyone talks about? I am actually living in one. Yes, they exist. Don`t worry, I put on sunscreen every morning. The people think it`s funny when I burn because they are used to people getting darker when they burn, but I just turn red and get more freckles.
You may not believe it, but I think I`m also becoming a social butterfly. That`s what happens when you spend all day talking to strangers :)
Anyways, it`s been an eventful week. This morning I decorated our pension so it looks like an Argentine winter wonderland. We are going to make snowflakes tonight after planning.
This week my compa put her first fecha (baptismal date) with Juan Silva, a Chilean grandpa. We taught him the restoration and the plan of salvation. His wife died 5 years ago, but she had a book of Mormon and was reading it. I felt that she is helping Juan find the gospel so that he can accept it in this life and do her temple work. It was a really neat experience.
Adelina is an antigua (old investigator) that doesn`t believe in God. We passed by last week and she said that she had been praying. This week was passed by and testified of the atonement. I was testifying from my heart just wishing that she could feel the love of God. I thought about how how much God loves us and I began to cry. It was a powerful lesson and a moment that I will never forget. I have such a testimony of the atonement. God loves us and we are NEVER alone.
Violeta is a boss. I just can`t believe how fast she is progressing! She came to a ward asado that we had. Instead of sticking by the missionaries she ran off and made her own friends. Then I introduced her to an hermana that likes doing family history. It was instant friendship :) At the end of the activity she was exchanging phone numbers with the sisters from the ward. I feel so lucky to be part of her conversion process to the church. Sometimes I look at her and see her in white clothes on temple grounds. Then I imagine seeing her again in the life after this one. It`s a joy that can`t be described with words. She also comes to church by herself and has more than 4 asistencias! (church attendance) She also stayed for Relief Society yesterday for the first time and then stayed even longer to watch a baptism service that took place after the church meetings. She has a different light in her eyes and I can see the change that is taking place in her heart. The gospel makes people happy. It`s a happiness that comes from the inside and shines outward.
Alina`s baptism is still schedule for the 19th. She came to church this last Sunday and also stayed for the baptism. There are some kinks that we need to iron out before her baptism. Please keep her in your prayers.
We had a ward asado (barbeque) out in the campo (wilderness/ camp ground) We played a game of soccer on a giant dusty field. Violeta was the goalie. It was like the moment in the Secret life of Walter Mitty when they played the soccer game in the mountains. Yeah, except there wasn`t any mountains. It hit me once again that I am in Argentina, my home away from home :) I love this place.
We had a Christmas inspired zone meeting. This is my favorite zone I`ve had in my mission. It`s a different spirit - we are all working so hard to be better and to find the people that are prepared here in Rìo Gallegos.
Now for the crazier parts of the week:
We were knocking doors and we found some crazy old investigators. The drunk uncle would only talk to Hna Cardenas and was trying to tell her to be careful because I was from the CIA. (Shhh...no one is supposed to know.) It was a weird lesson and the spirit was not there. I felt that we needed to leave, so I said, "Is it alright if we end with a prayer?" Then I explained how we pray. I asked if it would be alright if I offered the prayer. The Dad said, "No, I`ll say it." The only thing he prayed for was for the food on the table. There was no food on the table, only cigarettes. #pleaseblessthecigarettes #noreturnappointment
We have a rat in our pension. Don`t worry folks, this morning I set a trap and sprinkled venom pellets. We will kill this thing.
We now have 4 dogs that follow us everywhere we go. It is preparing me to have a big family. People ask us, "Are they all yours?" #thanksforthecontactsRocco
I have seen lots of miracles and I may even have a baptism or two in the next few months. Jesus taught the most at the end of his life and I feel the same way about the end of my mission. I don`t want to burn out or get super tired in the last six months. I don`t want to start walking when the finish line is in sight. I`m ready to sprint. It`s a good feeling and I`m really enjoying the work.
Bueno, remember that you are supposed to sacrifice one thing this month. I am sacrificing fear. I want to be a Bold missionary like Ammon and Amulek.
Love you all!
Hermana Davis

No comments:
Post a Comment